Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Saturday, June 28, 2003

Absolute tragedy yesterday. Hammon is gone.

There have been two great stories this year: the Detroit Shock and Becky Hammon.

Hammon has been awesome, leading the Liberty in scoring from off the bench. When I've seen her, she's looked unstoppable.

In last night's game against Detroit, Becky tore her ACL. She is done for the year. I don't even know what to say. This just sucks.

The results of Friday night's games:

1. Lynx win. Beating Phoenix is no big deal... but a win's a win. Katie Smith rained 3s as usual. Tons of turnovers, but Minnesota overcame that with good play in other regards. It was not a pretty game to watch: "very, very bloody ugly," said Van Gorp.

2. Detroit rocked New York again. Solid performances inside from Riley, Ford, and Cash. That's eight in a row for the Shock.

3. Seattle beat Cleveland. Sue Bird had a great game, just 3 boards from a triple-double. LJ led in scoring, even though she rested most of the second half. Coach Hughes took the blame.

Speaking of Sue, Jeanna writes in and says: where's the love?

Earlier this year, I made some disparaging remarks about how Sue was playing. Jeanna wants to know why, since then, I haven't pointed out how Sue's been kickin ass and takin names.

True, my statements in May were maybe a bit unfair. But in my defense, I did give Sue some big props after I got to see her play against LA. And lest their be any confusion: I love Sue Bird. I love her as a player and a person. If not for Sara, I'd probably move to Seattle...

And she has been doing great lately, no doubt about it. Now as to who's the best point guard in the league? Well, I think before last night you could have made a case for Hammon over Bird. Now.... it's just too bad we won't be able to see them match up this year...