Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, June 20, 2003

Well... it was some trip...

My flight got in at 7 Wednesday. I was hoping to make the 2nd half of Washington-Sacramento, but I took the SuperShuttle and didn't get downtown till after 9. I waited outside the press entrance of the MCI Center for awhile with all the kids seeking autographs. For some reason, I really wanted to meet Stacey. Seems like maybe we have a lot in common -- she's from Canada, I'm from Minnesota; we've both got the hyphenation thing going... but no one ever came.

Had an interview with Justice Stevens on Thursday. It went pretty well -- he's a very nice man, easy to talk to. I had a little rougher time with his clerks. They asked me some questions that I really wasn't prepared for (and that, in retrospect, should have been easy to anticipate). So I kind of whiffed. And considering how many people they're interviewing for how few slots...

On the positive side, I got to sit and talk with a Supreme Court justice for a half an hour. We talked a lot about drug policy, which was pretty damn sweet. And the good thing about not getting the job is that I get to stay in San Francisco (the promised land) a little longer.

The flight home was awesome. JetBlue with TV, Seattle v. LA on ESPN2. 1. Great win for the Storm. Got to see LJ battle with Lisa -- that's probably the premier position match-up in the league right now.

Lisa is probably still the better player -- better post moves, better hands, better 1-on-1 D, and she's in better shape. But LJ plays great held D and shuts down the whole lane. Plus, LJ seemed like she got in Lisa's head. After their little shoving confrontation, it seemed like Lisa played frustrated all night.

Sue Bird really played like a superstar. She's always running, crashing the boards, making everything happen. She did fade at the end, from sore knee and fatigue.

Sandy Brondello couldn't miss. And with her team falling apart at the end, she created a little space for herself and nailed and 18-footer. She ended with 21. Awesome.