Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Wednesday, July 16, 2003

ESPYs tonight. Women's hoops nominations in several categories:

Best WNBA Player. Nominees are Leslie, Holdsclaw, Swoopes, and Catchings. That's a tough call... me head says Leslie, but my heart says Catchings.

Best Female College Athlete. Nominees are Taurasi, Beard, Natalie Coughlin (Berkeley, swimming), and Cat Osterman (Texas, softball). Don't know a damn thing about swimming or softball, and don't wanna alienate all Husky or Devil readers... as a predictive matter, Taurasi may win based on her comparative fame.

Best Female Athete. Nominees are Leslie, Taurasi, Annika, and Serena. In this one, the two hoopsters are the bottom two choices. Annika made history, and Serena has established total dominance over her sport. I vote Serena.

Best Team. UConn Huskies, along with other major champions. I think I'd have to go with the Anaheim Angels.

Best Coach. Geno is nominated, and I think he has a pretty good claim for this category. Boeheim might be the sentimental favorite, though.

Will be excited to see some of the ladies up on stage. Tune in...