Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Monday, July 21, 2003

Sue Bird reconsidering the spanking bet -- she read Steve Kelley's column in the Seattle Times yesterday, and it made her think. "They say I'm 22. But I take full responsibility. I'm not dodging it at all. And I plan to correct it."

A mature response. Nice work, Sue.

She said she did it because she wants to attract young men to the game. It was a worthy goal, even if she did choose a misguided strategy. A better way to attact young men: play hard to get. Sue is attractive, funny, and kicks ass on the court. They should be begging to watch her play.

UPDATE: the bet is off. Said Sue in a statement: "As genuine as my intentions were, I realize the negative effect that this bet has had and would like to apologize.''

Takes a big person to admit a mistake.