Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, August 29, 2003

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Lynx kick ass!

In the first half, Minnesota was getting shelled, and I was about ready to give up.

But the Lynx didn't give up, even though they were down 21. "We decided, 'Let's go after it,'" Katie Smith said. "Because what did we have to lose?"

What a finish. Smith (23 points) hit a three to tie the game with 24 seconds left. Then, with the game still tied and 7 seconds left, Tamika Williams stole Mabika's inbound and made the game-winning layup.

The pass was supposed to go to Leslie, who blamed the loss on the refs. "I felt the game was played very unfairly," she said. "I know it's on the road and you're not always going to get the calls, but that's all I can really say about this situation."

"They never gave up and I couldn't be more proud of that," Lynx coach Suzie McConnell Serio said. "We worked too hard to earn this spot in the playoffs to let it slip away like that."

Sadly, there were less than 4,000 people there to see the incredible game. Yes, as I've said before, the fans from my home town are the worst in the world. Sigh...

This was LA's first playoff loss since '01.