Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Thursday, August 28, 2003

Yesterday came the big news in the Mendiola case: all three brothers accepted plea deals.

Giovanni pled to second degree murder. His brothers pled to lesser crimes. Sentencing will come later, but it looks like Giovanni will be in prison for somewhere over a decade while his brothers will get a couple years.

The family still seems to maintain innocence. "My son is taking a fall to save his family," Alicia Mendiola said after the hearing.

"I don't know how to say this," said Giovanni in court. "The only reason I'm doing this is I'm trying to save my family. They are using my family against me as leverage."

During yesterday's hearing, Washington Huskies stars Giocanda and Giuliana sat with their mother in court.