Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, September 12, 2003

Remember when Coach Donovan said:

"If we don't make the play-offs, she doesn't deserve to be the MVP. Lauren is the best player in the league, but you have to lead your team to the play-offs. It's a well-rounded award for your defence, scoring, rebounding and what you do to make everyone else better. And you do have to be a play-off team. You can't be an MVP sitting at home."

She now explains:

"I was quoted as saying she didn't deserve to be an MVP, which was never what I was saying. Lauren deserved to be an MVP - there's no question she had the best season of any player in this league. But the fear was that us not being a play-off team and going on a five-game losing skid would really affect her chances of getting that. There's never been a doubt in my mind, from day one of training camp, that Lauren Jackson was MVP this year."

So, you said "she doesn't deserve to be the MVP," but that "was never what I was saying"? Taking lessons from Bill Clinton?

Whatever. She's gonna win anyway. I think I probably would have voted for Swin, but I certainly can't complain about LJ's getting the hardware.