Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Sunday, November 02, 2003

Even though the Big East has won the last four national championships, some people still don't think it's very tough. Lots of folks think the SEC and Big 12 are much stronger overall. And last year, when the Big East had 7 teams in the tournament, Nell Fortner and others cried foul.

Big East coaches are sick of it.

Says coach Geno: "When the media people talk, you notice there's a Pac-10, a Big 12, a Big Ten, and what's always referred to as the `always tough' Southeastern Conference. I checked the preseason [polls]. They have three teams in the Top 25. We have four. Maybe this year people will talk about the 'always tough Big East,' because I'm sick of hearing about what's going on around the country. I'd have much more fun talking about the teams and players in our league."

Says coach Vivian: "I spoke personally to Nell at the Final Four. She knew I was upset. I told her, 'I want you to remember what you said, because I expect you to make a public apology next year when you see what kind of damage the Big East does.' I trust that we'll live up to that."