Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Thursday, January 08, 2004

Jessica Foley's magical buzzer-beating shot has reverberated around the country and all the way down under to her homeland. The Sydney Morning Herald ran this piece today (tomorrow, actually).

Said Foley: "My boyfriend was over here from Melbourne, and Duke only had about 70 people in the arena. They all went nuts. It's been amazing since then. It's been really cool walking around school the last few days, and having people I've never met saying, 'nice shot'. I've gone from zero to hero in a couple of days.

"College basketball is huge over here. I love the way that there's interest in women's basketball, you don't get that anywhere else in the world. The UConn women's team are one of the most watched teams in America.

"And the attention . . . if I had made that shot in Australia it might have got a tiny column in The Border Mail. Here it's been unbelievable."