Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, January 09, 2004

Lot of good Big 10 action last night.

In the marquee match-up, Michigan State hosted Purdue. Michigan State is a solid team trying to prove that it can play with the 3 big powers in the conference. Last weekend, the Spartans nearly upset Penn State.

Last night's game didn't go as well. The Boilermakers raced to an early lead and never let go. "We were aggressive and took care of business," said Shereka Wright, who shredded MSU's zone for 28 points. "I was able to find the right spots, and my teammates took care of me. Coming into the game, we wanted to see whatever they gave us, and we took it."

Elsewhere --

the Gophers shredded Northwestern. The game was essentially over within a few minutes. "We were up 25-2," Janel McCarville said. "I was in awe. I didn't think we'd scored that much, and I didn't think they'd missed that much."

Minnesota is now 13-0. Best start ever. Good TV ratings to boot.

Penn State blew out Iowa. Mazzante had her 4th 30 point game of the year.

In a minor upset, Illinois knocked off #22 Ohio State. Angelina Williams led the Illini with 15.