Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Monday, March 29, 2004

"I cannot believe that game ended just the way it did," Baylor coach Kim Mulkey-Robertson said.

"I hate to see a game end like that, obviously," coach Summitt said. "But I thought tonight there were a lot of situations, a number of calls where in the postseason everyone's on edge. I didn't even see the last (foul)."

"I was very surprised," Vols guard Shanna Zolman said. "Not only does that never happen to anybody, you never determine the outcome of the game through the officials. How it ended was very surreal."

The Vols have survived a lot of close games in their history, but none quite like this. Baylor feels like it's had a bunch of breaks go against it this year. The Bears head home in shock, their season inevitably defined by that moment.

In response to the call, Jenni Carlson argues today in the Oklahoman today that the quality of the reffing has not kept pace with the quality of the women's game. It's sad to say it, but I think there is truth to what she says.