Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Tasha Butts, the hero, after her tough move around and under Nicole Powell won the game with 1.7 left.

"I can't say enough about her," Shanna Zolman said, "her guts and her attitude. She never dies. She never quits."

The Vols were tired of the criticism following the Baylor call, and tired of the local media encouraging fans to cheer against them. "It did bother me," said coach Summitt. "I don't think it was fair because (UT's players) have feelings. I don't think anyone took that into account and expressed both sides. I think that's what a professional should do."

As usual, the Vols managed managed to put it out of their heads and win the game.

Stanford played a great game, matching Tennessee blow for blow for over 39 minutes. But it just couldn't counter the last one.

Powell had the last chance, but she couldn't make the shot, and couldn't get a foul call despite some contact.

"I told them after the game that they can hold their heads up high,'' coach TV said. "Inside that locker room those kids are bawling their eyes out. But I don't feel any shame. It's hard to lose. But Tennessee is a great team."