Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Tuesday, April 06, 2004

Tennessee has dropped five straight to the Huskies.

Coach Summitt must convince her squad to put the history behind them. "A lot of people say there's no way you can compete with Connecticut," she said. "But I believe in this team. If this team will believe in themselves, I think that we'll have us a great basketball game."

Nancy Lieberman agrees that Summitt's most important task is to make the Lady Vols believe they can beat UConn.

Brittany Jackson says she isn't afraid. "I love playing against UConn. Because they're such a great team."

This is the last chance for Tennessee's seniors, who will leave college without a title if they don't win. It might mean the most for Ashley Robinson, who entered college as a top recruit in her class, but has been a disappointment to some, including herself.

Ashley now looks around at the stars of the senior class -- Powell, Beard, Mazzante, Whalen, Taurasi... "And then you have me, who was a big recruit, and now I'm just a role player and really haven't produced like I think I should have,'' Robinson told Voepel yesterday.

Tonight could offer a measure of redemption.