Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, May 21, 2004

LJ went bonkers and beat down my Lynx -- the MVP scored 31 and led the Storm to victory.

Minnesota's rookie star Nicole Ohlde, however, may have been the story of the game. She had 16 and 10 in 25 minutes, and she managed to frustrate LJ on both ends of the floor.

"These rookies are going to be a pain this year," Jackson said. "I didn't expect that (Ohlde's play). She's so strong. I had no idea she was going to be that good."

Said Sue Bird of LJ's play: She didn't have one of her best games. And she still had 30-plus points. I would love to score 30 on a bad night."

Despite LJ's scoring effort, Minnesota almost managed to pull out the win. The Lynx had the ball down 2 with one last chance. As Teresa Edwards drove the lane, Betty Lennox went after her and came away with the ball. Edwards was furious about the no-call.

"I feel like I got fouled and the ref didn't call it," she said. "It was a crucial point in the game."