Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Monday, August 30, 2004

Post-gold sentiments:

Coach Chancellor: "Winning a gold medal was good. But I can't tell you how much I'm going to miss the journey. I have a very, very unique relationship with this team, like no other team I've ever coached — high school, college or pros."

Dawn Staley, possible coach-to-be: "I would like to experience what [coach Chancellor] is experiencing right now. I've won gold medals as a player and I would like to know what it feels like to be a part of something like that as a coach."

Taurasi on Staley: "Dawn Staley is the best leader I've ever known and probably will ever meet. She willed us to victory."

Tina Thompson: I started playing for USA Basketball back in 1993. Back then, there was no WNBA. Your only option was to go play overseas. But if you played for USA Basketball, then your ultimate goal, your only goal, was to win an Olympic gold medal. It's finally my time."

Lisa Leslie on Tina's performance: "Tina was amazing. They put [Australia's Suzy Batkovic] on her in the second half and Tina recognized the mismatch. She had patience, poise and got any shot she wanted."

Staley on Leslie: "Lisa Leslie is the best [women's] basketball player in the world because of all the things she can do with the basketball, and she will keep that title until she retires."

Yo: "Everybody on this team knows their roles, and I just try to do the little things that help us win. I knew we weren't getting any rebounds, and before I went out there, Katie (Smith) pulled at me - 'Yo, go get some boards!' We all did what we could."

Sue Bird: "It was awesome. You see it on TV and you dream about it and all sorts of stuff but when you go through it, you know, to be honest, sometimes I need to stop myself and take a step back and be, like, all right, you just went to Opening Ceremonies, you know?"

Taurasi, on her playing time: "I don't see that as a problem or something to be mad about. You wait your turn."

And one touch of gray from Swin Cash, not happy with her minutes, not sure if she'll return to USA Basketball: "I've been in a position where I can relate to players on the Shock who are role players, so I understand waiting until their time comes and stuff like that. But, at the same time ... you're a competitor, and you want to be out there playing. Right now, it's the coach's decision. It's not up to me... I think they've kind of put this team together to give us the experience, the chance to maybe do that down the road. But, like I said, I'll evaluate my situation when it comes up again."