Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Absurd night at Flushing Meadows.

Basically, a nice match between Serena and Capriati. Not pretty (lots of errors), but a close, hard-fought match full of close, hard-fought points.

But the match was marred irretrievably by one unbelievably, inexplicably, ridiculously bad call at a key point. "I'm very angry and bitter right now. I felt cheated. Shall I go on? I just feel robbed," Serena said afterward.

Then on top of it all, Serena had three bad line calls go against her in the final game. You can rarely say this in tennis, but the line calls decided tonight's match.

Serena has lost some points with me lately. Wasting her talent, abandoning the Olympics at the last minutes, etc. I started off cheering for Jenny, but by the end I was hoping Serena would get justice. She didn't.

Mariana Alves: you suck.