Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Monday, September 27, 2004

Mwadi Mabika on her play: "In the first half, I missed some shots and I was pump faking too much. In the second half, I decided it was time to shoot and I let them go. I knew the team needed me to score because they were doubling Lisa all game long and I was wide open for most of the game. This was a huge win for us, but Tuesday night is going to be a dog fight as well. We need to come out focused and ready to play."

Coach Thompson: "We do not celebrate this win. This was a job we had to come out and do, and we were able to do it. We know that the real work starts Tuesday."

Coach Whisenant: "We fell into one of our notorious scoring droughts. No player tries to miss shots. Then, Mabika hit those big threes - the last one while falling into the stands. You've got to give them a lot of credit. It didn't matter what we did up in Sacramento. Now, we're even."

Yo, about her missed layup: "I normally hit that shot. That was the difference. But some times, shots just don't fall... Hopefully, we got these misses out of our system. Game 3 is going to be different."