Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, October 22, 2004

Coach Stringer spent some time defending her program to the press yesterday..

Shalicia Hurns had problems in the past, so some have wondered why CViv recruited her. "Would you entitle me one mistake in 32 years? And I'm not calling it a mistake. I don't apologize for anything. I'm going to protect them. I don't consider (recruiting Hurns) a mistake."

Hindsight is 20-20, but the bigger question is whether Stringer will allow Hurns to come back eventually. Yesterday, she wouldn't say. "I'm not commenting on [Hurns's status]. I think you probably know as much as I do."

She also wouldn't comment on Cappie's situation. "I understand Cappie has eliminated certain things. It is not pregnancy, it is not drugs, it is not grades. What I'm saying is Cappie has had personal things that happened in life. I'm not at liberty to discuss anything about her personal decision."

(Of course, not everyone is so discreet.)

Finally, Stringer complained that other schools are now resorting to dirty recruiting, kicking Rutgers while it's down.

"I don't need to have Tennessee, Georgia, Louisiana and everybody else killing us over one thing that's happened here," she said. "Every new article is destroying our program. I don't know how much more we can be hurt. With regards to us recruiting, I tell them about this mess straight up. I can't tell you how many times we've been knocked out of the batter's box with a major recruit."