Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Monday, November 29, 2004

And then there was a huge almost-upset in Knoxville, as Dawn Staley's Owls gave the Vols a scare.

Temple forward Ari Moore had a shot to tie the game, but missed it. "I was excited; I was nervous," she said. "I wanted to do it without charging into Jackson. I saw her right in front of me. I probably should have pump-faked. … I didn’t do what I had to do, what I’m used to doing. It’s very upsetting. I dreamed about that shot my whole life. There’s going to be another shot. There’s going to be another game. And I’m going to be OK."

"Our kids put their hearts on the line and almost came up with probably one of the biggest upsets in women's basketball," Staley said. "It's not often you can come to a historical place like Knoxville and get a win. I'm proud of our team... We're getting closer, and one of these days we're going to get one of these ranked teams."

The Vols' solid defense saved them in the end, but coach Summitt is still frustrated with the offensive production.

"If I had the answer, I would give it to them," she said. "But right now, I don't even have the answer. I don't know."

When asked if she'd ever coached a team that's had this much trouble scoring, Coach Summitt answered simply, "No."

Zolman led the Vols with 10.