Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, November 12, 2004

Ketia Swanier's parents are both retired veterans. Said Ketia on Vets' Day: "People should respect our veterans. It is horrible some of the positions they are put in."

As a result of the family's military background, Geno was especially happy to get Swanier to Storrs. "When I left I said to (Chris Dailey) 'I hope we get this kid if nothing else to have her parents part of our program.' I wish every set of parents that we could ever recruit would be like that. The commitment they made to their country, 20 years each. The loyalty they have. How there is no bitterness whatsoever in them. The sacrifices they made to leave Ketia and go overseas. To put themselves in the line of fire and still have a positive outlook on life. You don't find that every day."

As Geno told Lena Roberts yesterday, he's also happy to have Rashidat Sadiq. "Coming from Nigeria, the struggle she went through to get here, her family struggle back home and just her commitment to herself and her education and the pride she takes in who she is and the way she carries herself. I just wanted her to be a part of my team because I think that is reflective of who we are."

Although they'd never heard of UConn, Rashidat's parents were thrilled to hear she was heading there.

"My mother started dancing and singing praises to God," said Sadiq. "My family is not rich. We cannot afford cable or satellite dish. These are part of the reasons why my family don't know much about Connecticut. But now that I come here, I think they will get everything with Connecticut on it."