Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Wednesday, December 15, 2004

A few weeks ago, I mentioned how the old story about the Tasha Humphrey recruiting battle had resurfaced as Tasha got rolling for the Dogs.

Today, in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Tasha, her mom, and Coach Landers try to set the record straight.

Tasha explains why, after originally settling on Duke, she changed her mind and decided to stay home. "The determining factor was the majority of my family was in Georgia, and not a lot of them are capable of traveling to see me play. If I were to have gone to Duke, it's not like an hour away as opposed to me being in Athens. Growing up, family's always been important to me. They've done a lot for me, and being able to play in Athens, this is my way of saying thank you for that love and support."

It's good to have Georgia's side of the story aired in public; kudos to Steve Wyche for pursuing this report, and kudos to Tasha, Brenda, and Andy for talking.

That said, the article does not really directly respond to some of the specific rumors. There are a few more questions I'd like to see asked and answered about what happened between the time Tasha verballed to Duke and the time she committed to Georgia:

1. Did Coach Landers have any contact with the Duke coaching staff, and if so, what did he say?

2. Did Tasha, Brenda, and Coach Landers have a meeting, and if so, what was discussed at that meeting?

3. Did Brenda receive a raise, a vacation, or anything else of value, or promises for anything of value?

I suspect the answers to these questions would be "no," "no," and "no." Rumors often get spread around with absolutely no basis, and maybe Georgia just figures it would be silly to even respond to them. Still, this is a serious issue, and just to set the record straight once and for all, I'd like to hear the answers.