Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Wednesday, January 26, 2005

I recently received a couple emails from a parent of one of the victims in the Rick Lopez case:

Your thoughts on your last post about boundaries were my thoughts exactly. The coaches, even if not enforced by the AAU, should have their own contracts in which they state what they will and will not allow (driving alone with girls or any time at all alone with the girls and more...) I believe that is the first step -- coach accountability.

Next, a parent chaperone in every room who is accountable for every girl, every minute. I believe that person should be slightly compensated so it is understood how important that is. Anyway, there is more such as parents putting personal boundaries on their children's relationships, keeping them balanced with sports, school, church (if applicable) and other outside activities. Obviously, I could go on forever. I certainly hope the AAU takes notice though!

I was especially happy to see your post though because so many people want to blame the parents citing us as greedy, uncaring etc... that just makes it easier for people to believe that it couldn't happen to them, in which case no one learns anything.

I really hope families are able to learn from this - that's how I'm getting through it!

The Lopez story will be on Outside the Lines nightly tonight, in a feature titled "A Trust Betrayed." Midnight eastern on ESPN.