Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Monday, January 17, 2005

This weekend featured three huge interconference games.

In yesterday's biggie, Big Ten giant OSU put an end to Rutgers's recent streak of giant killing. It was a defensive battle, but the Knights couldn't contain Jessica Davenport, who had 22 and 7. Matter didn't put up big numbers, but a late-game lapse gave her an open look at a key time, and she drained it. "I think Matter's eyes popped out of her head," coach Jim Foster said. "It was the first time someone wasn't within two feet of her all day."

Cappie Pondexter took the blame for the loss. "I'm a veteran player," said Pondexter, who scored five points on 2-of-8 shooting in 19 minutes. "I don't think I stepped up like I'm capable of doing. It's a letdown for me."

Sunday's other TV game between Purdue and Notre Dame showcased two of the country's most talented forwards in Jacqueline Batteast and Erin Lawless. Batteast was simply outstanding, and the Irish got the win. "This one really, really feels good," coach McGraw said. "We came out with an incredible amount of intensity. Our practice Friday was our best of the year. This was our best overall team effort. We tried to limit Gerards and Lawless. We did a great job recognizing where Geralds was."

With the loss, Purdue fell to 10-6. "We're really, really young," coach Curry said, "and that's not been an excuse for me, but it sure does show at times." The next two weeks won't get any easier for the Boilers, as they face Penn State, Iowa, and Michigan State.

On Saturday, Stanford beat BC at Maples. Stanford beat a big early lead, but the Eagles charged back to make a game of it. "This reminded me of an NCAA Tournament game," coach Tara VanDerveer said. "This is a team that's going to the Tournament. I knew a 20- point lead wasn't going to be enough, but I don't know that I communicated that to my team well enough."