Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, January 28, 2005

The USA Today gives some ink today to two figures who deserve more national attention.

First, MSU coach Joanne McCallie, who has quietly built a new powerhouse.

"My freshman and sophomore year when I walked to class or the grocery, no one said anything," says Lindsay Bowen. "Now everywhere I go people say, 'I listened to your game,' or 'I saw your game on TV.'"

Second, Baylor forward Sophia young, the emotional leader of a team that means an enormous amount to a school still living in the wake of a devastating tragedy on the men's side.

The Bears recorded their first sellout earlier this month when Texas came to Waco. "We had scalpers at that game," says Baylor AD Ian McCaw. "I didn't know whether to call security or take pictures. Women's basketball has really been our shining light. It has become a must-see event."