Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Tuesday, March 29, 2005

LSU ended Duke's season and also Mo Currie's valiant, injury-hobbled career. Foul trouble mucked up the Devils' already thin lineup. And LSU is just too damn good.

"With basically only seven players, we had to go the last eight minutes with no subs," coach Goestenkors said. "Fatique was a factor. We needed our rotation."

As in the Minnesota game last year, Mistie Williams started off unstoppable, scoring 13 points in the first 12 minutes. As in the Minnesota game last year, Duke inexplicably failed to get her the ball the rest of the game.

LSU was sluggish at first, but then settled into the game plan -- Johnson penetrated, Augustus swished 15-footers, and Fowles dominated the paint.

"And that was the difference -- that and their All-Americans deciding to take over the game," coach Gail Goestenkors said.

Scholanda Hoston also did an excellent job on Currie. "My teammates did an excellent job of having my back," she said. "Even when I got beat, I looked and there was somebody there to help me. Even if I got a hand on it and I didn't come up with it, somebody was there to get it. My teammates really being there really helped with getting her frustrated and executing on defense."

"I think a game like this will help us," Augustus said. "We know we can play in the clutch situations now. We finished the game, which we didn't do in the Tennessee game."