Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Thursday, April 14, 2005

The Times picks up the Merry Stephens story. Stephens is the Texas high school coach who seems to have been fired for being gay. This time, someone was there on defense.

"They'd test me to try to figure out if I was a lesbian or not," she says. "They'd ask if I had a boyfriend or if I wanted one. I lied because I knew it would be career suicide to admit anything."

"It was bogus and very obvious that the board had a specific plan to get rid of her because she was a lesbian," a colleague adds.

Attorney Lena Ayoub: "The Bloomburg school board thought they could get away with destroying her career without anyone knowing what they had done. They were wrong."

Stephens has reached a settlement with the school district, but will not return as the Lady Wildcats' coach.