Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Fired coach Ferne Labati is taking the University of Miami (Florida) to court, alleging age and sex bias. "I gave UM 17 years of my life, of my heart and soul, and I never expected it would end like this," Labati says.

Did she think she had the job as long as she wanted it? If not, how did she expect it to end? Labati's 'Canes went 13-16 (4-10 ACC) this season, 22-7 (11-5 Big East) last year, 18-13 the year before that. Her suit notes that her replacement is younger (as replacements for long-serving coaches tend to be), and that "at least one younger female coach had a worse single-season record... and survived." UM may have acted precipitously, or unwisely, in firing Labati, but it's hard to see how replacing her with Katie Meier constitutes employment discrimination. Then again, I (Steve) am not a lawyer.