Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Sunday, July 24, 2005

CNN Headline News this morning: "Maybe women's sports are getting a little bit too much like men's sports."

Referring to the brief fracas between megastars Lisa Leslie and Sheryl Swoopes at the Sparks-Comets game yesterday. Swoopes drove, was fouled, shove, shove, words, words, intervention.

Leslie, conciliatory:
It was just the heat of the moment. I don't know if she realized it, but she pushed me first, so I pushed her back. I told her that we don't need to be out here like this and apologized because I wasn't pushing her to fight.
Swoopes, not conciliatory:
I think she gets to the point where she feels like she can do whatever and nobody is going to do or say anything about it. When the referee didn't take control of it when it happened, I'm not going to back down, so I retaliated.
Sparks won.