Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Saturday, October 29, 2005

SwoopesFest Day Four.

Pat Forde has a fascinating column quoting an anonymous gay college athletic administrator on why it's harder for a man to come out.

Michael Rothstein gets reactions from Vivian Stringer, Megan Duffy, and Doug Bruno.

AP columnist Nancy Armour sees progress. So does Levesque. People in Dallas are stupid.

Babcock quotes Martina: “It’s an amazing thing to actually get an endorsement because I’m a lesbian, rather than not get one because I’m a lesbian.”

Philadelphia Will Do psychoanalyzes Screamin' A. Smith and his now-syndicated Swoopes column.

Outsports has a roundup of media reaction here. And in yesterday's Outsports interview, Swoopes responds to charges that her relationship with Scotty was inappropriate because Scotty was her coach.
It wasn’t something I was proud of. But, that’s why, for so many years, we had to hide it. You can’t help who you fall in love with, man or woman. You can’t help those feelings you have. We both knew that it wasn’t right, the fact that I was a player and she was a coach. What were other players going to think? What was the organization going to think? It was a difficult time for both of us because we loved each other. We tried to do both, we tried to be with each other and still go to work and be professional. I think we handled the situation as professionally as possible. That’s why she made the decision that she wasn’t going to coach anymore last year. It had gotten to the point where it was just difficult, having to pretend and hide. People knew, but they also didn’t knew. But, it got to the point where I didn’t want to continue to hide this. So, she made the decision to resign.
She also explains how she reconciles her sexuality with her faith.
That’s probably one of the toughest battles that I deal with on a daily basis... I pray about it every single day and I wake up every morning and I’m happy and I’m OK with who I’m with, I’m okay with my life.