Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Thursday, November 10, 2005

The Digital Collegian reports that the Penn State Undergraduate Student Government Senate unanimously passed legislation that holds that 'acts of discrimination at the university should not be tolerated, and if such acts are conducted by staff or faculty, it should lead to their immediate termination from the university'.

One day after women's basketball coach Rene Portland replied to a Collegian reporter who asked her if allegations against her were disrupting practice,
Anything I say about that, I've already said. My job is to coach this team, and that's my intention. I've already said what I'm going to say. You can go down any road you want. I made a statement.
She issued a statement that denied allegations of racial discrimination that Jen Harris' attorneys are filing in a complaint with the state HRC.
The dismissal of the former player raising these allegations was, and still is, a basketball decision and the result of my responsibility to do what is best for this team. Nothing else. My career has been built on treating all Lady Lion players with respect. I will continue to do so.