Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Monday, January 23, 2006

Jessica Davenport stunned Michigan State at the buzzer. With three seconds left and the score tied, Marscilla Packer made a long lob pass to Davenport, who went straight to the basket with the ball.

"At first I thought [Packer] was going to shoot," Davenport said. "I saw the ball coming and I saw my girl cheat up. I know I didn't have enough time to come down and go back up with it."

Liz Shimek, the defender in question, was left wondering what she could have done to stop the much taller Davenport. "It's kind of a blur," she said. "I hoped we could maybe play it over. Maybe I could back into her, push her down -- I don't know -- do something different."

Dav finished with 31 on 14 for 19. The loss ended MSU's 23-game home win streak.

Elsewhere in the Big Ten... Purdue hung on against Illinois to remain unbeaten in conference play. Asked about coming close but falling short once again, Illini coach Theresa Grentz said: "I'm tired of it."

Minnesota used a big second half run to take out Iowa. "When somebody comes into your home floor and scores 48 points (in the second half), that's an embarrassment," Hawkeye coach Lisa Bluder said.