Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The first full week of training camp (for most teams) prompts a welcome flurry of journalism.

In Connecticut, Lindsay isn't ready to practice, and might not be ready for late-May games. Coach Thibault: "If she were able to play opening day, that would be a surprise to me."

Aussie guard Erin Phillips: "Last year, I really grew up. I traveled with the Australian team and got more experience with international basketball. This year, there was a lot of pressure for me to stay but I just think the timing is really right and I'm really ready to come across."

Lauren Jackson isn't practicing either: she seems to have hurt her shin. Again. LJ: "I don't mind sitting out some. I'm tired. I've been playing a lot lately."

Coach Donovan sounds bummed out. "The reality now for Lauren is that she's never going to be healthy from her knee to her ankle," she says. "It's very difficult when it's your star player that's going to be on the side of the court on a bike, but we've got to make adjustments."

The Storm have a few slots to fill as training camp opens: former Stanford star Lindsay Yamasaki hopes to return to the league.