Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Monday, June 19, 2006

The Sparks continued as the hottest team in the league by capturing their fifth straight win in a 80-69 victory over the Monarchs.

Mwadi Mabika tied a league record with seven three pointers and led all scorers with 27 points. "I just stayed focused because I knew the players that played 30 minutes last night, they were going to be tired," Mabika said. "So I tried to stay focused and take the game over. I am a shooter. That's what I do. I am very confident. I guess I need to do a miracle every night."

Sparks coach Joe Bryant said the win while facing adversity shows his teams can be special. While Monarchs coach John Whisenant is a little concerned about his team. "Right now we're not the same team that won the championship. But that doesn't mean we can't get there," Whisenant said.

Being outscored by 13 in the final quarter is especially a concern for the Moarchs coach. "Just look at 29 points in the last quarter," Whisenant said while looking at the final stat sheet. "Our defense is what got us in the game and got us the lead. "To handle a team like Los Angeles following back-to-back games, you have to do some things right. We got indecisive offensively at times."