Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Sunday, October 15, 2006

So what happened with the whole Maryland recruiting scandal that everyone was buzzing about last March?

Nothing. Nothing at all.

Clay Kallam, who suggested at the time that the Terps might face recruiting violations, today apologizes for his mistake.
This particular story ... was more than being wrong. I took a risk that journalists take from time to time, and I gambled that what I was hearing would become a reality. Several people said the same thing in this case, several people who were in a position to know, and so I decided to go out on a limb and publish a piece without official confirmation.
Who was behind it all?

Probably Sylvia Hatchell. But I don't know who Clay's source was, and I don't know who WaPo's sources were, so that's (mostly) just a guess.

Maryland, for its part, didn't help matters by responding the way it did. But regardless, it's good that the air is clear... or at least as clear as the air can be in the sausage-factory world of college basketball recruiting.