Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, December 22, 2006

Yes, there was a game up in Storrs, CT last night, but the post-game ceremony is what kept fans in their seats (actually, standing) after the Huskies 93-58 victory over Colorado State. The program's 10 Kodak All-Americans (and coach Geno Auriemma) were inducted into the "Huskies of Honor" program at Gampel Pavillion
It was a time for reminiscing as one by one, Kerry Bascom, Rebecca Lobo, Jennifer Rizzotti, Kara Wolters, Nykesha Sales, Shea Ralph, Svetlana Abrosimova, Sue Bird, Swin Cash were honored. All but Abrosimova (playing in Russia) and Ralph (assistant coaching in Bermuda) attended and spoke crowd after plaques bearing their names and numbers were unveiled by members of the current UConn team. Amidst the flow of emotions and memories, there were several comic gems. A couple highlights:

Rebecca Lobo: "And I just want to thank coach Auriemma. I spent most of my four year here hearing coach tell me I was the worst post player in America. I'm just happy that he just told me that he's got the FIVE worst post players in America. (She looks up at current players and waves.) "So thanks, guys."

Sue Bird/Diana Taurasi: They both flew in from Russia for the ceremony. Emcee Bob Piccozzi mentioned the flight had been 18 hours. Bird thanked him for the props, but pointed out he was being like everyone's parents who moaned how "when they were young they walked 3 hours to school. It was only 10 hours. But 18 sounds good."

Later, when it's Taurasi's turn at the mic she says, "Like Bob said, I actually travelled a 28 hours to get me here, so I'm a little tired. It great to come back and see everyone. Coach, you look great. Lost a little weight. Looks awesome." (He got her back for that later.)

As for the game: weird stat of the week? Colorado State was 10-24 from 3-point land and 8-24 from inside the arc. And those 8 buckets were scored in the second half.