Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Tuesday, January 23, 2007

An interesting little discovery in the lower right hand corner of the WBCA's website. Debbie Williamson writes about the discoveries she's made in her new job. Recently appointed as the NCAA's Women's Basketball Secretary Rules Editor, Williamson will be the national rules interpreter for women’s basketball and serve as co-editor of the Men’s and Women’s Basketball Rules and Interpretations book.
As a former Louisiana Tech women’s basketball player, I was on the fast track to a collegiate coaching career. I had been a part of four Women’s Final Four teams with two National Championships on my resume’, spent three summers playing basketball overseas, coached junior high and high school teams while I finished my Master’s Degree, was working camps and networking to land that perfect coaching job.

I jumped right in as a Division I assistant coach and stayed there for five years. I traveled, recruited, scheduled, tracked grades, organized summer camps, exchanged film, watched film and coached when I could get off the road in time to make a game.

Rules? Who had time to read the rules? Besides, I had played the game at a high level, spent hours evaluating game film and was in the gym year round. I knew the rules or, at least, I thought I did. And then I became a referee and read the rules book for the first time. I thought I knew the rules only to find out that “I didn’t know what I didn’t know.”
What follows is a series of classic "coach cries out to the referee about an infraction" quotes, followed by the "Belief" and clarified by the "Fact" and underscored by the actual "Rule."

Be warned, though it is worth the read, the link downloads a word document. Too bad they didn't make it a pdf.