Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Saturday, February 17, 2007

Husky great Shea Ralph will be honored at today's UConn/Pittsburgh game. Now a Panthers assistant coach, she couldn't attend December's "Huskies of Honor" ceremony beause of coaching commitments.

As a player, Ralph battled anorexia and multiple ACL tears through her college career, yet earned 2000 Final Four Most Outstanding Player honors. Her senior year was cut short by a third ACL tear during the Big East Tournament Finals against Notre Dame -- a game famously won on a last-second pull-up by Sue Bird. "I'm on crutches and I have a brace on my knee," recalled Ralph.
They don't have to tell me what's wrong because I already know. I had come out to watch the end of the game on the bench. Sue hits a shot and we beat Notre Dame for the championship. Sue came right over to me, hugged me, and said, 'That was for you.' To me, it was the perfect ending."