Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Tuesday, July 10, 2007

That ESPN story on Sue and Diana in Russia is the media gift that keeps on giving: at the L.A. Daily News, Paul Oberjuerge uses it as a jumping-off point to discuss all the bad things about year-round pro ball. (Thanks to Stever for finding the piece.)

The scheduling problems are a headache, but the real threat to the W-- or at least to the quality of play in the W-- is the strain on players' bodies created by the lack of an off-season.

Diana opines that year-round ball is why Holdsclaw quit the WNBA. "She said, `You know what, I've played for so long, I'm going to take my summers off and play overseas (in the winter) and still make great money... That might be the trend for people who get a little bit older."

Including Diana herself: "If I keep this up," she says, "I can play only four or five more years."