Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Would it be a repeat of the Sun-Fever game earlier in the night? The Silver Stars took a commanding 20 point lead, only to see the Monarchs come back to take their own lead with just over a minute left in the game. This time, the team that built the big lead hung on to get the win and advance to the Western Conference Finals.

Sophia Young was a huge part of the Silver Stars strong start and finished with a game high 26 points. Nicole Powell and Kara Lawson would not let their team go down without a fight. Powell scored 18 of her 20 points in the second half and Lawson hit key shots down the stretch.

But it was also Powell who left Vickie Johnson on the play that put San Antonio up for good. "It's not a decision that any basketball player wants to make," said Powell. "I just ... obviously it wasn't the right decision. Maybe I could have faked and gotten back. It (stinks) really bad."

Finding Johnson wide open under the basket with the perfect pass was Becky Hammon. Said Johnson: "It was just a great play, really."

“They had players make plays,” Jenny Boucek said. “I don’t know that we could have done much different. I couldn’t be any more proud of my team. (San Antonino) made one more play. They earned it.”

Everyone wants to know what Yolanda Griffith's next move will be, but the veteran said "Right now everything is in the air. I'm in the moment right now. I can't make that decision. I'm going to take some time and clear my head. I need to look at the future, look for what this team might need."

The Sac Bee's Melody Gutierrez also makes a note of the attendance in San Antonio. But the Silver Stars success is helping to attract new fans.