Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, October 05, 2007

A little college coach news: Pam Borton will be honored by her alma mater, Defiance College, Kim Mulkey is being inducted into the Baylor Hall of Fame, and Penn State's Coquese Washington spoke to the Williamsport Nittany Lions club.

Seems that, when invited to interview for the PSU job, she told AD Tim Curley to wait a bit.
“He said he wanted to fly me out and interview me first thing in the morning,” recalled Washington. “I said, you know, I’ve got to go shopping. I can’t come out first thing in the morning. I’ve got to get a new suit. This is cause for a shopping spree.”
The good news? Says the article, "Washington embraces the tolerance some of Portland’s former players said their coach lacked."
“I don’t think it should be an issue one way or the other,” Washington said of players’ sexuality. “It doesn’t hurt, it doesn’t affect your performance as an athlete. I’m curious in some respects as to why it’s ever an issue.”
Me, I'm trying to wrap my mind around the writer's description of Portland as "the female Bob Knight" and saying "Washington, who makes no secret of being all woman." Say what?

Co sure comes off a tad better than writer Quillen.