Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Tuesday, October 02, 2007

One of the bestest people in the WNBA is getting a well deserved honor. Vickie Johnson, Liberty great and current SASS stalwart, is being inducted into the LaTech Hall of Fame. (thanks H4H for the good news).

From a 2001-02 Q&A, we find out she didn't want to be drafted by NY. Or Houston. Or L.A. And the deep, dark secret of how VJ ended up at LaTech with Coach Barmore.
Q: Did you choose Louisiana Tech because it was one of the best programs, or because it was in Louisiana?

VJ: (Laughs) I never told anyone this.... I was playing with my brothers outside one day, and my mom called me in the house and she said, "VJ, there're some girls on TV playing basketball." I think [La Tech] was playing against Cheryl Miller. And I said, "You know what? You see the team in the blue with the stars? That's the team I wanted to play for - with the stars." 'Cause I wanted to be a star. (Laughs) That's why I went to Louisiana Tech. The stars.