Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, December 14, 2007

Division III Macalester plays in the MIAC -- the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. I know this because I got to watch the Scots play last year when I was visiting my fellow blog-heads in Minneapolis. Steve actually taught there, before he downgraded to Harvard, which is why I found myself in the gym, bellowing like a fool as the team was stomped by the more athletic team from Gustavus Adolphus College (eventual league runner-ups).

Talked to G.A. fans (lots of family), spoke afterward to the the Mac's coach, Ellen Thompson and enjoyed myself throughly (not sure the refs did, though. It was a very small gym...).

So it was with delight that I read a story today on the team's resurgence. Not sure it'll match Oklahoma-meets-Sherri tale, but it does have certain Sooner-ish echoes.
In January of the 2004-2005 season the main question about women's basketball was whether or not the team would exist the following year. However, three years after low turnout and injury forced the Scots to cancel their season, Mac is playing some excellent basketball, raising a new, entirely different question: 'can this team make the playoffs?'