Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Saturday, February 16, 2008

Newday profiles Adelphi University's Gianna Smith, who is just 58 points short of becoming the schools all-time scoring record of 1,519.

Smith played her high school basketball at the Waldorf School in the Independent Private Parochial School Athlete League. "It wasn't like [recruiters] were beating down her door," said Adelphi head coach Kelley Watts.
Smith still has to pinch herself to believe what has transpired over her career, saying, "I wasn't planning on going to college to play basketball. I didn't think it was a possibility. I was applying to Syracuse, Rhode Island, places down south, Fordham and Stony Brook. I never thought of playing basketball.

Truthfully, it [the record] is shocking to me every day. I thought I'd just come in, play my role and do what I'm supposed to do. Coach saw something in me and knew I had the talent to play at Adelphi. There were actual plays, something we never had [at Waldorf]. And I was playing with teammates who had actually played basketball before."