Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Tuesday, February 19, 2008

SI.com picks up the story of the Marquette players who donated their hair for cancer victims.

Notes Marquette Fan:
Marquette had their Think Pink game vs. Seton Hall and were taking donations per 3 pointer made. MU was last in the BE in 3 point shooting coming into the game and made a season high 11 3 pointers Saturday. Weibel may never be able to have long hair again during her career at MU as she's gone 10-13 from 3 point land since she had her hair cut.

Marquette had their second highest crowd of the season for this game (and highest attendance at the Al - their usual home court) and it was a great environment for a great cause. Props to the band director who bought a special pink suit just for the game.
Think Pink and donate here.

Over at WBCA.org you can read Missouri State University coach Trish Marsh's story:
I started to attack this as if I were preparing for the biggest opponent of my life. I started to “scout” out information on the internet and be as informed as I could when I headed to the surgeon’s office on Tuesday, the next day. I met with the surgeon and he was very positive about helping me with my fight. I opted for a lumpectomy and scheduled it for Thursday. I wanted to get this cancer out of my body as soon as possible.

First, I had some other people to tell of my diagnosis. Coach Milleson gathered our Drury team over to her house. Our players knew something was wrong. We as a staff had some beans to spill. Nyla was going in on Friday to have gallbladder surgery. Another assistant, Carly (Deer) Stubblefield, was several months pregnant with a child diagnosed with club feet. Then I let my big hammer down that I had breast cancer. Lots of tears in that room....will never forget that night.