Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, May 23, 2008

A clarification from Karen: They don't own us YET and we DID run a story.

Marcus Henry wrote
There's nothing like getting a blowout win immediately after a lackluster loss.

The Liberty did just about everything wrong in its season-opening loss against Connecticut on Sunday. But last night, the turnaround was complete, quick and furious as the Liberty routed the Washington Mystics, 79-60, at Madison Square Garden.

The stat sheet was in stark contrast to Sunday's as the Liberty beat the Mystics in nearly every facet of the game.
A side note about the game from a fan in the stand:

Yes, the Mystics looked profoundly awful. And worse yet, as I watched Taj work her butt off, I was having flashbacks to the Vicky Bullet era.

The consummate professional, my lasting image of VB is during a playoff game against the Lib. Things were falling apart for DC and no one but VB seemed to give a good hot damn or knew what the heck was supposed to be happening. If she could have grabbed her teammates by the scruff of the neck and slapped them silly, I think she would have. When I think about VB, what I remember is her face, a mixture rage and frustration.

At times, I got feeling last night watching Taj do everything (Beard doing the rest) while the rest of the Mystics looked out of sorts and confused. And looking like they really, really need a coach.

I'm not giving up on the 'stics -- the Sting taught me the folly of that. But my heart did break a little as I watched Taj. Seeing her switch from fierce-Taj to sportsmanship-Taj as she pulled Cat up after a collision, or concerned-Taj as she crouched over an injured JMac made me wish... well, it made me wish she was on a championship winning team.