Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Sunday, May 18, 2008

The season tipped off yesterday with Detroit crushing Houston 85-66. The Shock were able to use some of their new additions in a decisive second half run.

Deanna Nolas was limited to 17 minutes because of an ankle injury, so rookie Alexis Hornbuckle took advantage of the playing opportunity. “I thought Hornbuckle did a great job defensively for us,” Bill Laimbeer said. “Franchise record in steals - that’s pretty decent for a first-game rookie.”

Katie Smith set the pace offensively with a game high 21, while Cheryl Ford pulled down 11 rebounds. Smith's game seemed to benefit from a move to the wing. "I'm playing more of the No. 2 guard and small forward instead of point guard and that's more of a scoring opportunity," said Smith. "I'm just playing the game and looking for the defense gives me. I'm not just about scoring points. I'm about playing the game."

The Comets were led by Tina Thompson, Mwadi Mabika and Matee Ajavon.