Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Saturday, July 26, 2008

In perhaps the most anticipated game of the night, Janel McCarville hit a layup over Lisa Leslie with 6.4 seconds left to give the Liberty the win.

A large crowd was on hand to see the Sparks and they got to see an intense nail-biter. "I had gotten the ball stolen on my last two possessions prior to that," said McCarville. "But in the huddle, (Head Coach) Patty (Coyle) was confident in me, said she was going to come back to me, and we did, and I made the shot."

McCarville finished with a team high 15 points and talked after the game how her team did not get caught up in the hype of the game. "For us, it was a normal week," McCarville said. "One reason we've been successful is because we haven't really worried about other teams. We don't worry about them on the court or off the court."