Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, December 12, 2008

Easy tracking for the upset watchers last night: only two ranked teams played.

1) #10 Tennessee pulled away from Middle State Tennessee behind freshman Shenkia Strickland's 20 points. This is coach Summitt's youngest starting line-up ever. Said Pat of her young pups:
"We devoted one whole practice this week just to shooting. We were able to get in a lot of reps," Summitt said. "We've been doing so much teaching that I think we've suffered a little bit time-wise not getting reps."

2) As for #13 Rutgers? Oiy. Cynthia Cooper-Dyke's 2-6 Prairie View A&M gave the Scarlet Knights all they could handle. At the RAC.

Yes, RU emerged victorious (58-56) but ain't nobody impressed.
Amid the terrible passes, the matador second-half defense and the general uneasiness with which No. 14 Rutgers played, one fact is clear: This team isn't anywhere near championship quality right now.

Or happy.
"We're selfish," said coach C. Vivian Stringer, whose club had just one assist in the second half. "I thought I'd seen the worst. I'm stunned. I was really prepared for us to lose. I figured I would just let it happen. So maybe we can understand that we can lose."