Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Sunday, April 12, 2009

From Lobo on the evolution of the women's game (And I was tempted, but will make you click to read the kicker of a final paragraph).
On Tuesday afternoon, a few hours before UConn won its sixth national championship in women's basketball, I sat on the floor of my St. Louis hotel room and watched an ESPN Classic replay of my 1995 team's national championship game. My daughters, ages 2 and 4, watched with me and saw women's basketball as it looked 14 years ago, when their mother wore a French braid. "That's Mama?" asked Siobhan, the 4-year-old. "With the twisty hair?"

In the grand scheme of things, 14 years is not a long time. But in women's basketball, 14 years has been a lifetime. The game (and the hair) has changed so much since 1995. Women's basketball is infinitely more athletic now. I kept wondering if the '95 game was being rebroadcast at half-speed.