Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, October 23, 2009

What I like about this "My day with the women's basketball team" story is that it has none of the "jeez, they're a lot better than I thought" stuff. Juan López writes about his My shining moment with the women’s basketball team.

I had never felt more pressure in a sporting event since my last high school football playoff game.

In this present moment, it was Monday afternoon and the local media was at the Nevada women’s basketball team’s practice. We were invited to practice with the team as to see what they do on a day-to-day basis (and how out of shape we were).

Back to the pressure moment. At the end of the practice, Wolf Pack women’s basketball coach Jane Albright said she would give the media members two chances to make a free throw. If both shots were no good, everyone, including the team’s players, would have to run 16 sprints from one baseline back to the other.

Being the man I am, I volunteered to shoot.

To my dismay, the first guy missed.


The only question I have is, if he'd been writing about the men's team would he have called them "boys."